On September 3, 2020, U.S. Secretary of Transportation Elaine L. Chao announced the first National Freight Strategic Plan (NFSP). The United States Department of Transportation (USDOT) has determined the need to strengthen the competitiveness of the American economy by targeting transportation.
The growing e-commerce industry has left the current freight system under strain, and outdated.
The USDOT says the NSFP will:
- Improve safety, security and resilience of the national freight system
- Modernize freight infrastructure and operations
- Grow the economy
- Increase competitiveness
- Develop data for future freight system improvements
The NSFP says the following trends have driven the change in the current freight system:
- Growing population and economy
- Diversifying global supply chains
- Rising domestic fuel production
- Changing urban-rural dynamic
- Increasing e-commerce
- Advancing technology
- Evolving workforce
According to the NSFP, one of the most pressing issues is truck safety. The increase in transportation has increased the risk of fatalities on the road and increased the congestion of the trucking industry.
The executive summary detailing the report can be found here.